Monday, June 14, 2010

Shrewsbury Cakes

Photobucket

I am already messing with my schedule lol! Today (Tuesday) is going to be a busy day at work trying to finish up my classroom etc., so I decided that timing-wise it would be better to make these cookies (techically mini cakes) yesterday.

It kinda went against my original idea because Blake was around and ended up giving me a few important tips along the way (so probably better for my first baking recipe, because they were general suggestions).

I did use the mixer, and it was surprisingly easy :-D lol.

They are called Shrewsbury Cakes, and apparently they actually found this recipe by Martha Washington, and the original Shrewsbury Cakes go back to recipes 400 years old!
The version in the cookbook is a modern adaptation of her recipe.

First I mixed 1/2c butter with 1/2c sugar in the mixer. I had to look up what it meant to cream the butter with sugar, but I think it worked okay. Then I added 1/2 tsp vanilla , 1/4 tsp salt and 1 beaten egg to the butter/sugar mix.

I narrowly avoided a few mistakes at this point. One being that I had first grabbed the 1/2 tbsp for the vanilla instead of the tsp, and I just caught it before I measured it, and put it in. Blake caught the other mistake before I made it by reminding me that the recipe said that it had to be beaten.

Then I added 2 1/2 cups sifted flour, and Blake urged me to make the mixer go faster, so I did. I added 1 cup dried apricots (as per the recipe).

After it chilled for an hour, I formed them into little balls, and baked them for 12 minutes.

They tasted GREAT! They are kind of like scones, in that they are not supersweet, and the apricots add a great touch of flavor. Both Blake and I had to stop ourselves from not eating way too many of them last night, and I doubt there will be some left to bring to work. :-)

First cookie recipe is a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment