Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hospitality Thins and William Henry Harrison

Photobucket

Hospitality Thins are really just light lemon cookies, and they are sooo tasty! I wasn't very good on the "dusting" with powdered sugar!

I have been reading other cooking blogs, and I love all their beautiful pictures each step of the way (like 101 cookbooks and The pioneer woman). So, I decided to try my hand at it... and all I can say is that I am even more impressed with them, because it is hard to remember to take pictures of the steps, and even harder for them to look like works of art like these ladies do!

But anyways... here are my three pictures for my whole recipe:
Photobucket
First I had to get together all the ingredients and prep some of them for the recipe. I grated a lemon to get its zest, then I juiced it for the lemon juice required in the recipe, and I sifted the flour.

Photobucket
The first real step in the recipe was to cream the butter and sugar together. This seems to be a very common first step in cookie recipes, and I am gaining confidence in doing it too! Above is the picture of the butter and sugar getting creamed together. Next I added the lemon rind, ginger, baking soda, salt and vanilla to this mixture... but forgot to take a picture of it.

Photobucket
Then I beat in the egg and lemon juice into this mixture. Notice that I had to change the attachment to do so... so accomplished, I know. :-P Then the flour had to be mixed into this, but I forgot to take a photo of that too!

After refrigerating this for a few hours, I had to make the dough into balls. The first batch I actually got my hands dirty and everything rolling them into balls... for the second two batches I got over it, and just used a tsp measuring spoon and a regular spoon to make them into ball like shapes... they still cooked great!

They were baked for 6-8 minutes (for me it was way closer to the 8) and then cooled and "dusted" with powdered sugar (I was lazy... and I just shook some of the powdered sugar from its storage container on top of the cookies... why they look so unprofessional... but they taste GREAT!)

William Henry Harrison
Photobucket

Harrison's main claims to fame are not really things that most would be proud of... he had the longest inaugural address (8,445 words and took over two hours to say) and the shortest time in office, from March 4th to April 4th. Because of this, he really didn't even have the chance to get anything significant accomplished during his short time as president. He died of a cold that progressed into pneumonia and pleurisy.

As far as memorable acts go, he is most known for his military career. He was also the first president to have his picture taken.

Quotes:
“Sir, I wish to understand the true principles of the Government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more.”
William Henry Harrison

"A decent and manly examination of the acts of government should be
not only tolerated, but encouraged."

William Henry Harrison

"There is nothing more corrupting, nothing more destructive of the
noblest and finest feelings of our nature, than the exercise of
unlimited power.
"
William Henry Harrison

Saving the best for last again...
Times change, and we change with them.
William Henry Harrison

1 comment:

  1. When you do powdered sugar you can use a cookie cutter to make shapes on top of the baked good. You can either just put the powdered sugar inside the shape or you can put a little powdered sugar (regular sugar might work too) in a separate bowl with a small amount of water and food coloring if you like. Then dip the cookie cutter in the sugar and press onto your cookies or cake. You can do this with bread also to make sandwiches look a little fancier for a tea or special occasion. Extra small cookie cutters are good for this.

    ReplyDelete