Sunday, April 10, 2011

Looking on the Bright Side

Ten reasons that postponing the trip is a good thing (in no particular order):

1. More time to plan and prepare
I was a bit stressed trying to plan for the whole trip in just a few weeks and was almost crazed with planning/ Ireland related stuff because it was happening so quick. Not to mention that the errands we needed to run before going were going to have to be stuck in after work to make them happen before the trip since we wouldn't have even had a weekend when we knew we were going to do any of it. So now, I am relaxing, taking my time, modifying my plans as I go, but also just sitting back and reading because I know there is plenty of time.

2. Timing is better
When I first heard about Blake's trip, I asked when he was going and pointed out that there were two great weeks for me to go, one was SAT week and the other was spring break. When it turned out to be SAT week, I was happy because it was at least one of my top picks, but truthfully, spring break is better. I won't have to pay for a sub while I am gone, and even the price of canceling the ticket is less than the discount we will get if I don't have to pay for a sub for that week. Also, we both have good friday off, which means that we have that entire day at home to do laundry and last minute errands and packing without having to do any of it after work. Much better all around.

3. My students
This is huge for me. I told my class that my trip was postponed and that it might even be during their spring break instead, and they were so excited to have me there next week instead of the sub. It might even make them do better on their tests because they will have their comfortable normal teacher instead of a different new teacher. When I saw their reaction, it almost made me feel selfish for being bummed about the postponement because it means so much for them for me to stay.

4. Blake
His health hasn't been great the last month, and without going into details, the main thing his doctor said to do to fix it was to take it easy, relax and take more baths (not kidding). Obviously traveling to Europe would not be taking that advice. We were going to do it anyways, because its his work, and he has been going to work throughout anyways, but realistically, it is much better for him to have a few more weeks to get back to normal before we go.

5. Trim Castle
After Ash's comment, I looked up this castle, added it to my must do list but found something very interesting. Before Easter (i.e. now) they only do tours on the weekends, which would mean that I probably wouldn't be able to go, but after Easter(when it looks like I'll be going now), they have tours every day! It would have been hard to miss this just because I was a few weeks early, but now it looks like I'll be able to go.

6. Walking Tour
My first pick of a walking tour of Wicklow and Glendalough wasn't going to happen because they didn't have enough people booked that week, and he only did tours if at least 3 people booked. This is a long shot, but hopefully because its the week after Easter, there will be more people going, and I'll be able to go on my top pick tour.

7. Books
I was planning on reading a few historical fiction Irish novels while I was traveling there, so I got a background of the history, but knowing I wouldn't have time to read them before I left. However, now I have a few weeks to get these under my belt so that I already know the history before I go instead of learning it during or after. I think its better (as long as I can still keep my kindle stocked with reading material).

8. Birthday dinner
I had this yesterday, which was just a day after my birthday, instead of later in the month. Small thing, but it was a nice night, and actually because of the craziness of the rescheduling it (twice), 4 people couldn't make it. I would have loved for them to be there, and I love spending time with them, but the bright side is that we were all able to be at the same table because they canceled instead of having to be at two different tables and me being back and forth. I count this as a positive.

9. Easter
I had planned on going to one of the old cathedrals for their morning sung service, and at first I was bummed because they don't have the morning sung services that week... but I found something better. It looks like we might be able to go to one of the cathedrals for their Easter evening service instead, which I think is pretty exciting.

10. Weather
This is a minor thing, but many people have said it, and I needed a tenth reason, but every week we go closer to summer, the more likely it is that it will be just a bit warmer, and that will be nice.

The bottom line of this post is that when I first heard about it being postponed, my overall feeling was of disappointment and discouragement, but at this point, I actually am more than fine with it because there are a lot of positives to the later date, and the only negative I am left with (if I was writing a pro /con list) is that I am not in Ireland now :p . Besides all that, its good for me to have to experience change because it is a growing experience. Hurts, but good for me. :-)

p.s. Since this month marks the year of having a CSA, I think I will be less faithful on the pictures. Every so often I might take them, but it was becoming more of a burden than anything to take them, and post them, and truthfully, I would wager that its more interesting when I post stuff like this than when I post a picture of our box. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment