Monday, January 21, 2013

Dress Finished!

IMAG0136-2 photo IMAG0136-2.jpg

Before we left for Ghana I started sewing this dress for Grace, with the thought of adding it to the small amount of clothes we had for her, especially since my friends were saying that I needed to have a couple changes of clothes a day (this is back when we thought she would be with us for the week). Then I found out that we got to visit her, but not have her with us full time.

I abandoned this project, totally just set it aside, and didn't work on it again until last week.

Last weekend I was cleaning up my sewing supplies, fabrics etc. and it made me realize that I missed sewing. There is something about creating something real out of what used to just be cloth that I really enjoy. Not only that, here was this beautiful dress, cut and started for my little girl that I totally stopped working on. I decided to finish it!

I think it turned out pretty good. You can tell it is homemade if you look at it closely, especially one part on the back where I slightly messed up the ruffle and it goes a little higher than the rest of the side, but I will not be embarrassed to have her seen in it. I hope that she still fits in it by the time she gets home (still no passport- sad) but even if it has to become a top instead of a dress, I think she can still wear it, and I am very proud of it. I LOVE the pattern, and that is why I bought it, just because it was so cute!

I also (not pictured yet) started working on a set of fabric blocks for Grace. You might recall that I sewed a number of fabric blocks and donated them to the orphanage, and at the time Blake mentioned I should make some for her, so I have started on that project next. I have the "G" block finished, and I am working on the "r" with the remaining three letters still as squares.

Coming up sewing wise, I plan on making something out of the kente cloth I bought in Ghana, and finding more fun things to do with the tons of fabric that I own that calls out to me to do something fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment