Friday, December 28, 2012

Gold Coins

goldcoin_zpscac3ca62

 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10

The last week before Christmas I taught my students about this verse, where God has already planned good works for us to do, but it is our responsibility to do them. I compared the good deeds God plans for us to the gold coins in Super Mario (which most of them understood the reference). They are there, on almost every level. Some of them are easy, and you almost can't miss doing them. But some of those gold coins you have to jump for. These are the good deeds that you might not have thought of, or might not do unless you were looking for the opportunity. 

I got proof of God's planned good works in my own life yesterday. I had a dentist appointment, but I got in autopilot as if I was driving to work, and realized that I had missed the freeway junction that I normally take to get to the dentist. Fortunately, I know my streets well around there, so I just took another exit. This exit had a homeless person, and I have bags in my car ready to bless a homeless person if I see them. I was able to give him one of these bags, and hopefully make his day just a little brighter. 

I couldn't help but think about how I would have never taken that exit normally, and if it was God who allowed me to autopilot just so that I would go a different route because I was supposed to be at the other freeway off ramp, because that person needed me that day.  

I wanted to share this as a reminder that whether you believe that God has prepared them or not, there are ways we can bless the people around us if we are looking for ways to help. I hope that I will, and I hope that I am willing to take that extra effort to get all the gold coins I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment