Thursday, October 4, 2012

My thoughts on the Hockey Lockout

 Photobucket
Last year, this time, I could not care less what was happening in the hockey world. I didn't fall in love with the sport until after January, and from then till the Stanley cup finals I was hooked.

When summer came, without hockey, I was bummed, but knew (or thought) that I could make it a few short months until it returned in October. Now.

But alas, about a month before pre- season games started, I heard about the lockout possibility. Which then canceled the preseason, and now has officially canceled the first two weeks of the season. It is seriously amazing how disappointed I am, and how I truly was looking forward to games starting again.

My number 1 bone to pick is that the owners are not allowing negotiations to take place while games continue. Maybe I don't understand the dynamics of the situation, but they could freeze player salaries until they get their issues worked out, but still give the fans the games, and still allow the workers to continue and both sides could add to their pile of money that they are arguing over like kids who can't come to a decision!

Last time negotiations happened, players were getting 57% of the revenue. Basically, owners want that to change to be less than 50%, and the players aren't going to give that to them. Both sides believe that the longer they hold out, the more likely the other will give in- players need paychecks, owners need the ticket sales, someone will cave. At this point, according to what I read, only the players have made concessions to try to find a point they can agree on, but every article says the same, that the NHL -1 won't change their offer closer to the current player agreement, and 2- they will not allow the players to play games while negotiations are still happening.

Do you know what I have my students do when a decision needs to be made and no one is willing to back down? I have them rock, paper, scissors. A random, arbitrary, non-biased decision that both are willing to abide by. Problem solved, classroom life continues. What can be the "rock, paper, scissors" for these two? Who will they both listen to? Because until some outside party steps in, and says hey, this is what is fair, both of you sign, or the NHL is willing to budge, there will continue to be no hockey and no money to fight over, making their argument even dumber.

Of course, I have no bearing whatsoever on this lockout, I just hope that someone who does can figure out a solution, and soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment