Thursday, July 26, 2012

Workout Class Pet Peeve

I have been attending a workout class that I have thoroughly enjoyed this summer, mostly for the instructor. She manages to work out every part of my body in the hour class, and it even goes by quickly!

However, today there was a substitute. I have no problems in particular with the idea of a substitute, I am just there to get a workout after all... but I couldn't stand this one. I left halfway through because she kept doing the same super irritating thing over and over again!

Pick an exercise, any exercise. She starts with, "Let's do eight of these." Dutifully, you follow the class and the instructor as she counts down from eight, including, "last one," as you do the eighth exercise. THEN she says, "next set, eight more." ARG! I would much rather that she said let's do two sets of eight, or sixteen of these, than for her to tell us eight, and then have us keep going. She also says, "last one," and then "one more," after the last one, even in the second set, sometimes a couple times. Maybe some people need that to be motivated to go through the class, but I think it is misleading, and makes it more difficult. If you are pushing to get through eight, and then you think you have a rest, or a change in exercise, it does not motivate you when you learn you were actually only halfway done, and I know I wasn't the only one who felt this way because I saw others looks every time she did it (which was every exercise). When I decided to walk out early, two other women joined me (maybe they would have left anyways... but they did leave too).  

 The regular instructor works you, but works you honestly. She would tell us we were doing twenty of something, or two sets of eight. They were equally hard, equally challenging, but when she said last one I knew she meant it. Sigh, it wasn't even worth the workout to stay because of her need to basically LIE on every single set.

/end rant

No comments:

Post a Comment