Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Cookbook Rave and Wheat flour

I think I had love at first sight when I started flipping through this cookbook. I have read her blog for a long time, heard about her cookbooks from that blog, and never thought too much about it, though I liked her posts. Last week, I was looking for another cookbook, and I saw hers on the shelf, so I figured, I might as well pick it up and flip through it. For the first time ever with a library cookbook, I wanted it, desperately, to keep. Many of them I will just keep some of the recipes, but this book is different. Why? For one thing, all of my favorite cookbooks have a picture of all or most recipes. I love being able to see my food before I pick it and cook it. Hers exceeds this with a picture for EVERY STEP! Her food all sounds appealing, even if not exactly helpful, and it is written in a fun personal way without just stating the ingredients and steps. She also includes a lot of her family in the book as well as stories about them and life on the ranch. If even those reasons weren't enough, it is just a really beautiful cookbook. The kind of book where just copying the recipes wouldn't be enough to even do it half the justice the book itself deserves. So... I bought it with the amazon gift card I had! One of the recipes that we have already tried (one of four that we are doing this week :-) ) was homemade cinnamon rolls. We were really excited about them... but unfortunately they were not as good as we hoped. After some time and thought trying to figure out what we didn't like, we determined they were ruined by the use of wheat flour. We don't mind wheat in general, and almost exclusively use wheat bread, wheat pasta, wheat dough etc., but have been finding that baking with wheat flour really affects the flavor in a negative way. Cinnamon rolls must have been the worst. Since it used the rest of the flour, next time we are switching back to baking with white. The recipe seemed good, and we will try it again... with white! I am really excited to eat the other two recipes from her book this week, and in upcoming weeks when my cookbook arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment