Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ireland Thoughts and Reflections

I was planning on writing a long description of each day in chronological order, but have since decided against that (though I will post my typed in Ireland blogs that are still on my mom's computer at some point) and go more towards the main couple stories I tell my coworkers and friends about the trip.

Overall it was an amazing experience, and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to go!

It totally lived up to its stereotypes in that it is truly very green with lots of sheep and cows everywhere. Also, our Irish taxi drivers were really nice and talkative and our tour guide that we used Monday was great as well since he was really informative and nice.

We were amazed at seeing such great intact structures that were so very old, most notably the 5 thousand year old tomb. Standing in there, looking up at this ceiling that was made so long ago and still standing was really a great experience. I also loved seeing the 8th century monastery and 12th century castle. Any old structure, I really was impressed by just the fact that it is still there. But the other thing that struck me is how it is just a part of life to those who live there. One place, Bective Abbey was old, and amazing, but local families took it as a nice picnic spot, and kids were playing hide and seek there. I just felt like here, we would turn it into a really guarded area, but since they have so many of these places all around, it doesn't have to be that protected, it can just be an awesome picnic spot!

All my walking tours were interesting and informative, and pointed out things that I wouldn't have known or noticed if I was just walking around by myself. Like the statue of justice at Dublin Castle. Unlike most portrayals of justice as a woman, she was notably not blindfolded, and she faced the castle, not the city. Also, I learned that on rainy days (which are common in Ireland) the scale used to tip! My Irish tour guide said that it was a correct representation of justice in Ireland for centuries, back to the people, tipped scales and not blind. Also, another walking tour pointed out the bullet holes and plaques that I wouldn't have noticed without the tour.

My main hiking day turned out to be the rainiest day, but I am really glad I went because they are also my favorite pictures from the trip. I most felt like I was in Ireland that day too because I was actually around in the green hillsides hiking instead of in the city. At the time I was tired and wet... but still glad I was there doing it.

On that note, it was different than other cities I have been in because there are centuries old buildings everywhere, but it was also very similar to every other city in that there was still graffiti, there was still homeless people, and there were still the major chains (Subway, McDonalds, Starbucks etc.).We did purposely try to avoid the places we could eat at home, though I did go to a Starbucks for convenience one day. Our favorite spot by far was a place called Bewley's. (I think that's the spelling). We ate there for dinner twice, dessert once, breakfast once and a late snack/lunch one day too! They had the best coffee... an Orange Mocha that I didn't try until Friday and feel like I will spend the rest of my life wanting another one!

It was amazing being in the old cathedrals as well, and we even got to hear a men's choir singing in one. At the time, my main thought that I could barely make real is that I am hearing something that people have heard here for hundreds of years! I took some pictures of the inside... but they don't really do justice to the beauty of the stained glass windows or huge ceilings. Even their organs were impressive!

My only negative for the trip was the flying back. Flying there wasn't too bad because we slept off and on from Philadelphia to Dublin, but we didn't sleep on the way back, so it was a long time on planes that day and I was ready to be done by the end. Even so, I would gladly do it again in a heart beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment