Sunday, February 13, 2011

CSA stuff

First off, as far as the CSA box went this week, total fail on my part. I had everything out, on the counter, ready to take a picture... and I just put it all away. Only as I had one thing left to go in the fridge did I notice my camera on the counter... and decided that it really wasn't worth unloading all the produce just for a picture.

It was an interesting week, with bok choy (that we will try in a soup this week), and cabbage as well as many of our old standards (lettuce, carrots, citrus etc.). Though, I do have an interesting story with the cabbage. Blake really doesn't love soups, he tolerates them, but prefers for me to only make one once a week. Last week, when we got leeks, I used them in a soup with cabbage, and we ate it for leftovers later. This week, I saw cabbage and Swiss chard and thought soup again... as well as with the bok choy. On the way to the store, I mentioned my plan for soup twice this week... and Blake was not a happy camper... so... I decided last second (like we were in the parking lot about to park at Sprouts) to have us just roast the cabbage with lemon and some herbs, saute the swiss chard with potatoes and garlic and add a sausage sandwich for substance. It was amazing! Seriously, a delicious dinner for something decided in my head in the car.

On a cooking note, last week in an effort to save money and make an easy dinner, we combined bison with spaghetti sauce that we kicked up with extra garlic, onion and pepper. Wow... sooooo good. We eat 1 bison meal a week, but if you looked at our freezer, it doesn't even look like we've made a dent! So far, in most cases, we actually like it better than beef.

(Okay... so I started writing this a few days ago, then I saved the draft. Now, we already have a new CSA box, and more pictures and food to describe... so I'm just going to post it as abrupt as it is, and post other stuff later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment