Sunday, December 19, 2010

December CSA's to date



Our December boxes have featured lots of green vegetables like lettuces, sorrel, dandelion greens and feijoas. We were having trouble getting through all of the feijoas, but then we read that you can eat the skins, and now they are easy convenient fruits. We have even put them in a tasty salsa.

Another main produce that we have gotten a lot this winter is winter squash. Every week for a while now we either have acorn squash, spaghetti squash, or butternut squash. We have also gotten lots of carrots, which is also nice to eat raw as part of our lunch.

Its been fun to experiment with different recipes with the winter squash. They have ranged from as simple as just microwaving it and eating it as is to risottos, stuffing them, putting it on pasta, and this week I am adding it to a chili.

I have had to get a bit creative with the greens, just adding them to recipes even if they don't call for them so that they get used. Truthfully... there are not many recipes, even on the internet that use dandelion greens! We added them to a soup yesterday that was so good... I confess... I ate about 4 bowls of it for dinner!

Also, the week with the zucchini and the eggplant, I confess that I had a night where my primary goal was to use a bunch of the vegetables sitting in our fridge... so we just threw them all in a pan, stirfried it, and put the whole mess on pasta. Tasted pretty good though... so I guess we are improving!

There has been a lot of cilantro lately, and we are not getting through it! Oh well... the worms are happy.

I considered for a bit giving up on posting my box each week considering that I forgot to take a picture the last week in November, and then didn't post for 3 weeks... but I reasoned that it wasn't really about my faithful readers (because I realize that most people probably would rather hear the personal stories over the veggies we get each week... I don't blame you...) it was about keeping a record. I would love to see how this year's veggies compare to next years around the same time. Or... if I have way too much free time at some point, I can do a pretty excel chart of what produce we get when, how much we get of each etc. But perhaps even more than that... the goal of recording what produce we get really gets me to write, and write significantly more than I was writing before we started our box. So... even in months where I have to do 3 boxes in one post... I will still try to post.

1 comment:

  1. You can try making cilantro pesto and then freezing it in ice cube trays - a couple of them are perfect to defrost for yummy pasta sauce or pizza topping. I always intend to do this with my extra cilantro (one bunch of cilantro is way too much for most things) but have actually never gotten around to it. It sounds like a brilliant idea though. :)

    ReplyDelete