Sunday, March 6, 2016

Aunt Lisa

So, my brother and sister in law announced their pregnancy back in July, and since their due date was March, we knew the time was coming close.

Due to a group text that didn't actually go through to me, I learned that my sister in law, Amy, was in the hospital, in labor, way after Blake did. I got back from a haircut, and first learned about it when he said, "We have to go get the dogs."

"What?"

"I haven't gotten Grant and Amy's dogs yet."

"Why are we getting their dogs?"

"You didn't get the message?"

"What message?"

At this point, he just hands me the phone, and I read that there has been tons of back and forth talk on a group text that my name was on, but for some reason it didn't go through at all (good time for it to fail).

By this time, she had already been at the hospital for a while, and the want to be helpful made me want to run out immediately to their side, to help in any way I could. But since we had friends over and we were celebrating one of their birthdays, I waited till after dinner to call.

I talked to my brother, found that they had plenty of people there, and that at that point, Grant really didn't want more people there (I think he actually would have liked a few less people, since the room was crowded). On the hope that things would proceed normally, we made plans for me to touch back in about an hour to see if I was needed to help them get through night labor.

I called back in an hour... no answer. Later I found out from my parents that the reason he didn't answer is that little Livvie was having some problems and the doctors decided that a c-section was needed to ensure she didn't have too much distress, and by the time I was checking in, Amy was already being prepped for surgery.

I hated that I couldn't help more that night, but the fact was that no one besides my brother was allowed in the operating room, so I couldn't do any more good for them there than I could here. So I had to wait till the following day to begin my roll as "super aunt" in earnest.

Since this all happened on a Tuesday, the next day was Wednesday, and Blake had to go to work at least for a bit, and get some stuff done before he could come home, and cover for me in my job (caring for the kids, getting them to gymnastics etc.).

I was super anxious to head over... but since moms don't have long sub lists, there was nothing to do but wait.

God totally had my back. So, this Wednesday, as I want to visit in the hospital, Blake goes to work to find... the power is out. Totally. Everyone sent home at least until lunch. Apparently it was out for a circle around his work too. This could not have worked better for me as it meant he headed back home, and then I could go visit my teeny tiny niece (and help).

I offered to bring food that wasn't prepared in the hospital with me, and was able to get Amy something that she was craving, especially on her liquid only diet.

But as much as I was glad to provide food, I LOVED that I got to hold Livvie for nice long while, I got to help calm her when she got grumpy, I got to help my brother get some sleep, in total, I loved the whole experience of being an aunt.






 This is my dad showing the kids pictures of Livvie. The actual first meeting they were totally underwhelmed, and much more interested in the Disney movie that was on the screen when we visited.



I feel like aunt is an awesome position to be in. I get to enjoy the sweet sleeping face, hold the little fingers, quiet the little mews of a cry... and then hand her off when it is time to change diapers, or try to get her to sleep in the middle of the night.

Grant and Amy are home now, and are doing excellent. An extra shout out to Amy, who is getting through the challenging time of beginning nursing while also recovering from her surgery. I am so proud of her for getting through all of it with a smile on her face! (Though don't make her laugh ;-) )

I told Blake today that I think that this new aunt role might just help me be on his side (he would prefer our family is complete with two kids, I am on the fence, and part of me [admittedly not the logical side] could see having more). Right now, I get to enjoy the baby, but don't have the hard stuff.


I look forward to seeing her grow, and am so excited for the newest little to the family!

In other news, having four dogs at home (and two cats, and two kids) was quite the adventure.

Honestly though, both we and the dogs were getting along much better by the end of the couple of days. I think they were really missing their family, and let us know by barking or whining for way too much of the time.

Plus, some mixture of fear, new place, and us not knowing their routine meant a lot of pee/poop accidents.

So as Grant and Amy didn't get much sleep with a newborn, our first night with the dogs was not a sound sleep either. But by the last day, they accepted us as temporary caregivers, and got really sweet and cuddly (as you can see by my selfies) and stopped barking so much.

With that said, we still like at least a little bit bigger of dogs. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment