Monday, October 5, 2015

The Overload of Last week

I hope to post a good number of pictures, and limit my word count, but I at least wanted some description to match the craziness that was my last week.

I wish I could say that I endured all of it like a champ and wasn't stressed at all... but any member of my immediate family can tell you that is not quite the case. I may have been a bit more short fused last week, but by the end of this, you will see why.

The Elements of the Storm
Ragnar
Since March, we have been planning to do a trail Ragnar with two of our running friends. For those unfamiliar with this kind of race, it is a relay race that lasts somewhere around 24 hours, with at least one member of your team running at all times till you finish.   Different than the road Ragnars, we didn't have a van and have to keep driving to different places (nor did we cover the extensive ground those do), we had a campsite, and each person of our eight person team had to run each of the three loops (that all started and ended near the campsite) to be finished.

I was somewhat scared/nervous about this race, but mostly excited. However, it went from just fun for me to a bit of work, as one of my two friends accepted the amazing opportunity to work with the UN and assist with processing refugees. She asked if I would take over captain, and I accepted... and then had a bit more on my plate coordinating carpooling, supplies, and when everyone was running.

Party
Since this summer, I was planning a joint birthday party for my kids. The date got nailed down when I learned that my sister in law, who moved halfway across the country in May, was going to be in town right around birthday time... and if I planned it right, she could be there for their party, which meant a lot to my kids.

As life goes... this date was the Sunday following the Ragnar planned in March. No problem, I thought, I can make both work, this is doable. I planned a good amount ahead of time, in hopes that the weekend of, I could just run the party for the most part.

Preschool
On the week of this party/race, I added two more things to my plate... because I apparently like the feeling of spinning plates.

After meeting with Grace's teacher on Tuesday, long story short, I became the class room mom. Also, I decided to go back to school.

The going back to school thing is kind of funny, in that even with my degree, minor, credential and masters... I am not qualified to sub in a preschool classroom. I don't have the CA mandated 12 early childhood units. But the teacher mentioned they have trouble finding subs, and I think it would be a very viable thing for me to do once Remington starts there next year. Plus, if I get qualified to teach preschool, I have more job opportunities open to me when I start looking for a job full time (though that isn't until he is in school full time).*

*This will be pushed back if there is some way that our current status on third child changes.

All of the above meant that Tuesday through Friday, at any given point, I was planning race stuff, or making bags for the party, calling IVC, e-mailing the school to figure out room mom stuff, and also planning for the extended babysitting while we camped/ran.

The race Friday/Saturday went great. It was totally scary at times for me, but once I finished I felt exhilarated, knowing that I had accomplished things that were definitely out of my comfort zone. I was one of the slowest of our team, but our awesome team didn't hold it against me.







The literal storm
On Thursday, the day before our race, two days before the party, my cousin in law texts me to ask me if I had noticed the weather report. Honestly, I hadn't... probably because of all of the aforementioned stuff. Yes folks, rain was due to rain on my park party. Sigh. I couldn't deal with it then... or Friday...or most of Saturday. I had no reception at the race... except for at the top parts of our runs, and that wasn't a great time to do it.

So we get back Saturday, and that pesky rain hasn't gone away, but our house wasn't party ready either... because we had been gone at a race (and it's natural state isn't party ready).

I make a desperate play for a clubhouse near our house, was told I had a shot if I went in person the next day. So, even at 7AM on the day of the party, I couldn't tell anyone where the party was going to be. Unfortunately (though in retrospect, it might have been for the best), my ditch effort was unsuccessful.

At 8 on party day, I was texting everyone it was at our house, and between 8-10 I worked hard with my mother in law and sister in law to get everything ready. We felt prepared at... 9:55. Party started at 10:00, but we did it!

Our party was a superhero theme, so the kids decorated masks, tried to lasso a pumpkin, rescued "captured" adults, played pass the Kyptonite and raced like Flash. I think the kids had a great time, and I was so relieved to have two major stresses off my table (still room mom and going back to school, but still seems better overall).






1 comment:

  1. Whew - what a busy weekend! It's funny how things end up all being at the same time...and I end up being overcommitted without intending too. It looks like everything went great! And that's so weird that you aren't qualified to be a preschool sub. I feel like writing the state of California a letter to say that you're the most qualified person I know!

    ReplyDelete