Sunday, January 19, 2014

How Life is like the Movie Groundhog Day

I'm going to make this fast, because I feel like this is being typed on borrowed time as Blake is downstairs with Remington, and wants to watch TV with me.

I feel like many days, my life is like the movie Groundhog Day in that many of the events are the same in essence, but I keep trying to make little tweaks to avoid the previous days mistakes. Some tweaks improve the situation, some don't, but I keep learning and trying to improve on them.

One of the biggest examples with this is trips to the park with Grace. We have made going to the playground a daily excursion after her nap. She loves going to the playground, going on the slide, playing in the sand, and being pushed on the swings. She hates leaving. So, every day I try different things to try to make the trip home easier. Blake had some good results with a special snack on the way home, but I goofed it up by letting her see the snack first. When we got to the playground, she just wanted to eat the snack instead of spending time playing first. I even got a full blown tantrum about it. Lesson learned...don't let her see the going home snack first!

I have Groundhog Day moments with potty training too, trying to figure out why and when she has accidents so that I avoid those kind of accidents in the future. These moments happen with Remington too, mostly with his sleep at night. I keep trying to have his schedule worked out so I only feed him once at night, and he sleeps soundly the rest of it...but with the minor daily changes, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I have to keep trying to figure out what causes the difference.

Grace's tantrums are yet another area where many minor changes are made in attempts to stop or avoid the tantrums that come when I say no to her, she doesn't get her way, or we have to drive in the car somewhere (so pretty much all day long). I have had some success with dolls and roleplaying, some with stickers, and some with playing the game of "guess what made Grace mad" and then talking to her about it. Sometimes I have no success!

But unlike the movie, kids change all the time, so my changes are just guesses, and I get to keep trying!

Enjoy the random collection of kid photos from the last few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment