Saturday, May 11, 2013

Firsts

When you talk about milestones that your child accomplishes, it is all about the firsts: first time holding their head up, first roll over, first time they sit up, first crawl, and so on.

Even as you get older, I feel that you remember your "firsts" as the important moments, and then the future events as less meaningful.

With Grace, we missed many of the typical firsts that a parent experiences. I don't have a first time for feeling her kick inside me, we didn't see the first time she held her head up, or rolled over, or sat up. But as the time goes with her, we are experiencing firsts with her, and they are so precious.

Last Saturday, Grace went to her first birthday party (for a former co-worker's daughter).
 photo 945146_10152800045800032_1270003615_n_zps6c31ff8d.jpg

She got to do a fishing game...

 photo IMAG0432_zps3efd90fa.jpg

 photo IMAG0431_zps618ec52b.jpg

 photo IMAG0430_zpse3775b21.jpg

and played in the sand with her beach toys she got while "fishing."

 photo IMAG0436_zps5e127bf3.jpg

 photo IMAG0433_zps833a119e.jpg

On Sunday, she had her first trip to the zoo:

 photo IMAG0439_zpsbe80c864.jpg

 photo IMAG0441_zps492b3e30.jpg

 photo IMAG0442_zps28dde675.jpg

She seemed to really enjoy her trip to the zoo. Grace points at things often (half the time we have no idea what she is trying to get us to see), and at the zoo, there were plenty of monkeys and animals to point out to us. One of the words she is pretty consistently saying these days is "daw" when referring to our dogs. However, she has now generalized this to all four legged furry animals. At the zoo, llamas were dogs, capybaras were dogs, warthogs were dogs etc. We have taught her now to say, "tat" for our cats, but she isn't consistent on distinguishing them quite yet at home.

The elephants were astonishing to her, as she just kept looking. Not really talking, not saying much, just being apparently amazed at just how big these animals are.

More than just her first trip, which is meaningful all by itself, it was also special that we finally were at the zoo with our child. We have been zoo members for a long time, and always saw the many children visiting the zoo. For years now, while I loved seeing the cute kids and their reactions to animals, I also felt disappointment in our not having a child to share our trip with us. It was a big thing that I was looking forward to. It was a great feeling seeing her reactions and just being able to share this special place with her as we had dreamed about doing for so long. 

She also had her first time playing with Uncle Graeme:

 photo IMAG0449_zpsddb1038a.jpg

They are playing a game of peek-a-boo with the tissue paper from one of the gifts that Blake got last Sunday.

Thursday brought another two firsts as I saw Grace color for the first time with crayons (more than the forced attempts in restaurants).

 photo IMAG0455_zps954110f6.jpg

 photo IMAG0456_zps452a0ed2.jpg

 photo IMAG0457_zpsb66de15f.jpg

I also took Grace to visit North lake (a lake near us) for the first time that day.

 photo IMAG0460_zps686738ef.jpg

 photo IMAG0458_zps86ee3df4.jpg

I truly look forward to the many more firsts that we will experience with her, including some that we thought we would be missing because of her being adopted at somewhat less than newborn age, such as seeing her stand independently and walk on her own.

But we also have the firsts that every parent can look forward to: first day of school, first bike, first sleep over, etc.

It is funny how excitement builds in this house, where she does something new, and we get excited, and she sees that we are excited, and she gets excited, and then we love seeing her so excited, so we get more excited,  it just goes on in a loop of laughter and smiles that is so sweet and precious! It also means that each first is a chance for us to connect and join together as a family, which is what I really was waiting for all those years.

I have a first tomorrow too- my first mother's day as a mother. Last year, around this time, we were still waiting for a call. We had no idea if it was going to be a boy or girl, name, age or anything. This year, she is home, and I am her mother in every sense of the word. One of my students asked (back before I became a stay at home mom) about Grace's "real" mom, and I set him straight very quickly that I was her real mom.

Legally, I am her mom, all the paperwork we have done, and possess confirms it. But I also confirm that I am her mom when I have to hold her while she gets her blood taken, I am the one who watches her and changes her diapers during the day. I am the one who holds her hands while she walks, and calms her down when she is upset. (Credit where credit is due- Blake does this stuff too).

The woman in Ghana who gave birth to her gets credit for her beautiful eyes, stunning eyelashes, and cuteness that makes even strangers comment. She gets credit for not leaving Grace on the side of the street, but making sure that she was left in good hands. But she is not her mom. Because of Grace's particular circumstances, we will likely never know any more than we currently do about this woman who gave life to my sweet daughter.

Some day, when Grace is older, she might say to me in anger, "You are not my real mom." But she would be wrong. Parenthood is not determined by blood alone, but also by being the one who is there for your child, good and bad, happy and sad.

So tomorrow I will celebrate Mother's Day not just by honoring my mom, and Blake's mom, but also getting honored, as I got to join this elite group of women who were and are there for their children.

In a surprise twist of fate, as opposed to last year, I also am celebrating being a mother to my son, who we will get to meet in September. I would have never guessed that my first Mother's Day would find me as a mother to two different children, and not twins!

 photo IMAG0451_zps03c1d1e1.jpg


Notes on this very strange video- it is of my stomach, where I caught on camera two times he moved. The first is around 31 seconds in and the second around 1:30. The rest is boring (but I can't predict his movements...) You should be looking more on the right hand side.  I would recommend dragging to spot :28 and 1:28 or so, and then look for it. :-D

Anyways, cheers to moms and to watching your children's firsts!

The joy in motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.
-Elder M. Russel Ballard

No comments:

Post a Comment