Friday, August 17, 2012

Worth more than a link

I, unsurprisingly, follow a lot of other adoption blogs, and I love hearing about their day to day lives as parents of adopted children. One of the many that I read is at http://heldts.blogspot.com titled Just Showing Up. Today I read her blog, and was so moved by it, I immediately wanted to share it, not just in a link, but repost the whole thing-
*I do comment on it more at the bottom, so if interested, you can go straight to my commentary by clicking the read more button, but it is better to read it first :-D.

Friday, August 17, 2012


Adoption culture


Something I write about far less than I imagined I would is adoption--in spite of the fact that I have four adopted children.  There are probably several reasons why I don't gravitate towards this subject, but one of them is that I don't feel particularly connected to the culture of adoption.

This may sound strange coming from me, especially if you know that some of my closest friends in real life are raising adopted children, and that I have countless Facebook friends who are also adoptive parents.  I've attended assorted adoption-related conferences and seminars over the past several years, and was one of the first people blogging about Ethiopian adoption in particular.

But still, I'm a little bit on the outside.  And that is by choice.

The present-day culture of adoption seems to operate on two opposite spectrums: my-healthy-adopted-baby-will-have-no-issues contingent, and the medical/developmental-needs-are-SO-no-big-deal, so adopt a waiting child camp. 

One group thinks adoption is the best ever because oh my goodness, babies are so sweet, and the other believes everyone ought to be adopting waiting children because any and all issues are completely correctable and workable.

Both sides love to emphasize how we are adopted by Christ, and that this supplies the mandate necessary to embark on the process of making an orphan your child.

Both sides miss the mark, in my opinion.

Because the fact of the matter is that adoption is hard.  I repeat, adoption is hard.  And I don't mean the process, I mean the act of taking a traumatized and hurting human being into your home and incorporating him or her into your family.  I mean the transition period as well as the years to follow, the unending attempts to diagnose behavioral issues and foster attachment and correct for learning disabilities.

It is, ultimately, the long and hard work of love.




That is the crux.  That is why adoption is hard.  Because love is a choice, it is taking the long view, it is borne out in actions and also in silence, it is independent of feelings and it does not follow any one timeline.  It demands sacrifice, self-giving, nurture and structure, and daily reliance upon God.

And adoption in particular tests our character because it illuminates the struggle to put another first, above ourselves.  We must stare brokenness and vulnerability square in the face, our child's face.  We must make decisions and rethink any and all conventional parenting strategies, and in the end accept a new definition of success...while still clinging fiercely to hope.

We must become very small.

This is what, I believe, so much of the adoption culture misses.  To claim a child as one's own, we sign up to enter into a world of pain and sorrow and grief--some of which may never fully be healed this side of Heaven.  This world is often filled too with cognitive impairment, impulsivity, developmental delays, congenital heart defects, Asperger's syndrome, and the like.  These things do not fit neatly into the "cute baby" or "it's no big deal" categories.

For they are, truly, a most very big deal.

But this world is also filled with redemption.  We must take care not to miss the work of Jesus, especially in the small things, because otherwise we will only see the big, hard things.  We must continue setting standards for each of our children, and helping them to reach their potential, in spite of their difficult start in life.




It's no secret that I believe adoptive families ought to be open to waiting children.  I confess that my sympathies do indeed lie more closely with that side of the spectrum.  But we must go in with eyes wide open, and reject the idea that any and all effects from institutionalization or Cerebral Palsy or ADHD will be corrected with just a little time and love.  Some will, in fact, not be.  Because when you raise a child, adopted or biological, it is the work of a lifetime, not a list of milestones to be checked off until the age of 18 when the child disappears into the void.  And many (most?) of our adopted children have essentially sustained brain damage--whether due to undernutrition or trauma.

It is the work of love. 

And love is long-suffering, it perseveres, it forgives and it remains.  It is the very essence of God.

So while I count it a great privilege to talk to people about adoption, and wish for families to think long and hard about whether there might be room in their home and hearts for a child without a family, I also know that once the dust settles, adoption simply becomes the toil and joy of parenting.  It is exhausting and exhilarating, all at once, and will call you into a deeper and more difficult love than you have known.  God has called some of us to this journey and most of us regularly wonder why.  We feel woefully inadequate when it comes to such a humbling and beautiful task.

And yet, we know.

We know that our children would quite literally have nobody else were it not for us.

We know that our children faced abuse of all kinds in their respective orphanages.

We know that our daughter with Down syndrome would have lived a much shorter life were it not for receiving open heart surgery in America two months after joining our family.

We know, first-hand, how very important love is.

We know it is life, and we know it is mercy in action.

We know it is good.

And that is the adoption culture that I believe must be cultivated.  This is the paradigm that is sustainable over time.  It breaks through the unrealistic expectations while standing in awe of the miraculous.  It is filled with hope and beauty while acknowledging hardship and yes, occasional suffering.

It is, in many ways, merely representative of life itself.

And maybe that's part of the gift, this being called by God to participate in adoption.  Maybe He is giving us a unique glimpse into life that we would simply not otherwise have.  Not only are we able to see the world through the eyes of a precious child, but we have a front row seat to healing, raw grief, and the importance and value of belonging.




Several years into adoptive parenting, I am more convinced than ever that we parents receive far more than we could ever give. 

And this is perhaps the best-kept secret of adoption culture.





My thoughts- First, it was just so beautifully written, especially the part where she goes through the "we know ____". I think I really connected with it as well because I agree so much with her.
 We don't have any expectations of getting a "perfect child". I have spent enough time teaching to know that there is no such thing as a perfect child, even if they are born and raised in a great home, with no health problems, no child is perfect.

 That is part of parenting, to train your child away from their bad behaviors and steer them towards good. We have always had a heart towards the waiting child (which does seem somewhat ironic that we have been waiting so long for a waiting child...) and that is the primary reason that we didn't adopt domestically. We didn't want to be in the position of trying to convince birth parents to give their child to us, we wanted to take a child who needed a home, and give them one. For that reason, we said we could consider a variety of health issues, we said we didn't need the baby. We said we weren't going from the more popular countries or the more popular continents.

We have read enough personal accounts to know that there will be challenges, they might be behind because of their background, they could struggle with emotional issues their entire lives, and yet we also know that even biological kids could possibly come with problems, health, emotional or otherwise.

 For that matter, I consider myself a fairly optimistic person, but I think it is an extremely naive person who thinks that anything worthwhile in life will be perfect or easy. As a matter of fact, I think that that mindset will set you up to fail. If you get married, expecting it to be easy, then you won't be able to weather the storms. If you get a job, expecting it to be easy, then you will quit when the difficult parts arrive (because why would they pay you if there were really no challenges?). Facing life as if it will be a piece of cake, and then seeing challenges arrive sets you up for disappointment. Facing life as a series of challenges, and then getting through them one at a time will give you a feeling of success!

 On a side note- easy computer games irritate me. I have played a variety, both challenging and easy, and without fail, I stop playing the easy ones quickly. I get no joy or satisfaction from beating something that didn't take me time, effort or skill. On the other hand, one game I play, we (it was an MMORPG) worked on beating a particular event from May till August, working on it 2 or 3 nights a week for a few hours at a time(don't judge :-) ), but we finally beat it a few weeks ago. It felt incredible! But if we had gone in and beat it the first time, the feeling would be a small fraction of the satisfaction that we felt when we were finally able to defeat this huge challenge. There is another game that I play where you solve puzzles, and there have been a few that it takes me a couple of hours to figure out the puzzle. But then when I solve it, I get that rush of satisfaction that makes it so worth it. The few levels that I found the solution in a few minutes,that great feeling wasn't there.

I am not a parent yet, but when I say I am looking forward to being a parent, it is not because I think it will be easy. I expect the challenges. But I also expect to see many good moments in our journey with our child that will make the challenges worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment