Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Sunrise, sunset


"Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?


I don't remember growing older
When did they?

When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?

Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers
Blossoming even as we gaze

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears"

I'm sure this song will only resonate more as the years pass, but it seemed fitting for this post.

I don't know how... but my kids are growing up! 

Grace started preschool today. She was hesitant at first, then got comfortable enough for me to leave. It was a strange feeling leaving Grace not with a grandparent or at Sunday School, but at preschool. 

She apparently had a great day. Her report of the day is that she played with boys (starting young, this one). She already has a friend she asked about by name (a boy) in the car ride home.

Her teacher said she had a great time and played with everything.  She was in a very happy mood when I picked her up too! 

I can tell that she definitely had a good day, she is already asking when she gets to go back!

It is funny to be on the other side of school too. I already have paperwork to complete and a permission slip to return.

Grace is growing up in other ways too. She used to say, "Sure," if you asked her to do something. Now it is, "I guess so," with a big sigh. 

But at least with Grace, I can reason that it went so fast because of the portion of her life that I missed... but Remington is growing up too.

Somehow... without my permission... he has gone from a helpless, tiny infant to a little boy with his own opinions who explores the world as he sees fit. 

He will emphatically point to what he wants, and get mad if you don't obey. He asks, "that?" about various objects all the time, and I would swear he can answer some questions with, "Right there." There are many other words we think we hear, plus plenty of baby babble. 

He is a pro at finger foods and getting better at spoon feeding himself too! He cruises along everywhere holding on to things, but prefers to crawl to cross between objects. Though, he has taken a few select free steps (usually to me) in the last few weeks. If people ask if he is walking yet, we usually answer that he can... he just chooses not to, which we truly believe.

I'm genuinely having a hard time with him turning one tomorrow. It probably has something to do with the chance that he was my first and last baby (since Blake really does not want a third and even I see the impracticalness of having another kid- though I'm not convinced yet.)

I am so proud of him and all of his abilities, and it is so exciting to see him grow up... but at the same time I miss the preciousness of a little boy who desperately wanted to be held, cuddled and nursed all the time. This boy hates keeping still so much it is a challenge to change his diaper or his clothes before he starts trying to wiggle away!

The last big "baby" thing I am not ready to let go of is the nursing twice a day, just once before bed and once in the morning. It is one of the few times left to me that he is so calm and happy being held, I'm going to truly miss it when I am ready to surrender his last big baby thing. 

To Grace, I am so glad you enjoyed your first experience at school, played, made friends and are excited to go back. I hope you can hold onto the idea that school is fun forever (and don't mock.. I always liked school). You mean the world to us, and are so thankful that you are with us, and usually a happy, goofy, active, sweet, beautiful little girl.

To Remington, Happy Birthday little boy. I love your adorable grin, your baby blue eyes which get comments from everyone, and your precious laugh. It is so much fun to see your personality come out! Crawl as long as you like, it keeps you feeling just a tiny bit younger to me. Big or small, you will always have a special place in my heart.  


 Grace as Doc McStuffins

 Remington kicking back in his chair...which he climbed into himself and sat that way.

 Grace and I at the doctor.
 Grace and I at the hospital last week (bad sickle crisis, but thankfully totally good now).
 Grace wearing the Ducks shirt I made for her because she asked for a Ducks shirt and the ones for sale were designed more for boys.
 Remington pictures for his birthday.
 Grace outside her classroom today on her first day (above) and below are two pictures taken at home for her official first day photos.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment